Friday, June 20, 2014

Wide Open Spaces


Hello Everyone!!

Yesterday Rico and I drove up to the Denali National Park and Preserve and saw Mt. McKinley along the way. For those of you who don't know Mt. McKinley is the tallest mountain in North America and located in the Denali National Park, which is 240 miles north of Anchorage. 

We drove for about four and a half hours before we got to the park entrance, though I believe we were driving along the park for quite some time since we could see Mt. McKinley from the south and north view points after about three hours. When we started driving the skies were clear and blue and it looked like it would be a gorgeous day.


However, while we were driving it started raining and by the time we arrived at the park it was pouring down so I didn't take many pictures on the way there.





In the picture below there are trees that are lovingly referred to as "drunken trees". The trees lean because of melted permafrost and there are many of them throughout Alaska.


As we drove back to Anchorage we left the rain behind us...




 ...and came upon some beautiful blue skies. In the picture above you can see Mt. McKinley in the distance. Rico and I thought it looked rather small, but that's probably just because we were so far away from it. Below are pictures from the drive back that I thought were too pretty not to share.






I hope you all enjoyed seeing some of the beauty Alaska has to offer. I also posted a video slide show on YouTube of pictures of my hometown Juneau, Alaska. I have inserted the video below, or if it doesn't work here is the link that will take you to the video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qojmcZe_pY 


If you liked this post and would like me to post more of my adventures around Alaska please let me know in the comments.

Until next time, 

Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Road Trips are the bestest! Great photos btw!
    MAJOTRON.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love road trips, especially when I'm not the one driving. :)

      Delete